Ad

Friday, December 4, 2015

Pageantry 101: Getting started



Hey Diva...or shall I say Queen!

So…let me guess, you clicked here because you have an interest in pageantry, right?  Well you have come to the right place because I will shed some light on the industry…from my personal point of view of course! A very popular question is, why pageants? Why do people enter pageants? There are many reasons.

For some it’s a bucket list thing, others want to build confidence or self-esteem. Some want to bring awareness to an issue or cause that is important to them. Then, you have some who want to jumpstart a modeling or acting career and have decided to use pageantry as a launching pad and the list goes on. It’s very individual and all reasons are valid.

My reason for entering my first pageant back when I was about 14 years old was to sharpen my public speaking ability and to pull me out of my shyness.  Yes…I was painfully shy and introverted, but HONEY, not anymore! So I would say…mission accomplished.



Now if you are considering entering a pageant for the first time, let me keep it absolutely 100% real. Pageants are not cheap, PERIOD. Just like any other awesome experience in which you choose to partake, there is a price tag.  The amount depends on the pageant and the level of competition. For example, the cost to compete for a county fair or festival queen title may be less than competing for a state level title. And…competing for a state level title may dent your pockets a little less than competing for a national title. You really have to look at it as an investment in you and your personal development.


It all starts with the entry fee which is simply the amount you invest to participate in the pageant. But what I need you to understand is that there are additional expenses that you want to be prepared to cover such as travel and hotel, after all… you have to get there and have a place to lay your head. Then there is wardrobe, hair and makeup because you want to look great and present your very best self.




And…don’t forget pageant coaching and training. If you are a beginner you might find coaching necessary to get you prepared to perform at your personal best. Even if you are not a beginner and have been competing for a while, it’s not a bad idea to invest in a coach or image professional to update or remix your look, especially if you are having difficulty clinching the title.  I am a pretty amazing pageant image coach, if I may toot my own horn for a moment! References furnished upon request.  If you would like to discuss coaching, please message me at msawbinternational2015 [@] yahoo.com

Now that you understand the investment involved in pageantry, you may be wondering how in the world you can afford it all. I say, where there is a will, there is a way. Many ladies seek the assistance of sponsors to cover pageant expenses. What/who are sponsors you ask? Well… sponsors are family, friends or even businesses you and your family patronize that support you with the financial aspect of your pageant. This would include anything from entry fees, advertising fees, travel expenses to wardrobe and makeup cost. There are ways to cover your expenses and with proper planning, you can certainly find organizations and businesses willing to support you in your pageantry journey. Just ask!


I honestly believe pageants can be enriching and an amazing experience. You just need to find the right one for you!  Do some research...and I don't mean just perusing the pageants website. I mean dig deeper, reach out to current and former delegates to get feedback. Talk to former and current title holders. Checkout reviews of the pageant system on other websites to get a feel for the real deal.  Also, be aware of scams and scammers. I wish this were not a reality but it is so protect yourself.  I will talk more on that topic at a later date.  In the meantime, please comment. Share your pageant experience and any advice you might have for pageant newbies. If you are a newbie, please ask your questions here and I will be sure to get you an answer.   




Until next time.



Smooches,
Cha'Kiva Latrell aka The Spoiled Diva
Follow me on Instagram: @chakivalatrell

No comments:

Post a Comment